As part of a new goal this year, I wanted to make more time to cook different things and become more in confident in the kitchen. The best place to start is with recipes you know or following simple recipes. I typically go rogue and end up casting spells and conjuring stomach aches instead. #fail Today, I updated my Mini Bell Pepper Turkey Taco Bites recipe.
After opening my fridge for the 11th time and realizing nothing yummy was going to appear, I decided to make these taco bites I used to make and actually shared an older recipe of it here where I used a crockpot to make a big batch. Obviously, I couldn’t wait 5 hours and decided to improvise.
- 1lb ground beef or turkey
- 2-3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 bag of mini bell peppers
- Shredded cheese
- 1 packet of Sprouts Organic Spicy Taco seasoning (1 pack per pound)
Or make your own taco seasoning. There are many variations. I just try to keep it simple but you can play with the proportions. Don’t over do it on the cayenne. This is what I use:
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Onion power
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- In a medium pan, I threw in the garlic and onion and let it simmer for a bit.
- Next, I threw in the turkey and cooked it till brown while also breaking it apart to make it easier to spoon into the bell pepper.
- Following the instructions on the taco seasoning packet, I mix the powder with some water until it became a paste. I mixed in half the paste first, then more for taste. Didn’t want it to be too spicy. After you mix it in, let it simmer on low for a bit. Taste test!
- Halve all your mini bell peppers and remove seeds and veins.
- On a big flat cooking pan, spray with non-stick cooking oil and place peppers. Press down on the bell peppers to make them flatter.
- Spoon taco meat generously into the bell peppers. Be generous and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Heat oven 400 degrees and cook for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and garnish with cilantro. One bag of mini bell peppers makes 4-6 servings.
These mini bell pepper turkey taco bites were super easy and I made this in about 30 minutes. I really like the taco seasoning from Sprouts (organic Spicy Taco) and it wasn’t too hot either. Made extra and they were super easy to store and heat up for later. Enjoy!